std.file vs std.stream

Thu Mar 4 12:49:17 PST 2010

Ludovic A. wrote:
> Hej,
>
> thanks! First I want to underline that I use Digital Mars D Compiler v2.040, and
> my 2 examples are _working_ examples with this compiler. So I really mean that
> std.file is working on the last D compiler :)
>
> I felt that those examples didn't 'smell' like D, and I also got some import
> conflicts when I tried to import both std.stream and std.file in the same time.
> It's clearer now ;)
>
> I am still suprised that I don't have to indicate the type of "line", but I guess
> it is deduced from whatever file.byLine returns. I will dig out the foreach
> implementation, sounds pretty cool anyway.
>
> Last but not least, I extensively used the Search function of the Digitalmars
> website, and I did see information about std.stream / std.file popping on the top
> results. The Search function also referenced quite a lot of posts in "/archives/"
> :) I looked at tutorials on dsource, it seems most of them are outdated... Hence
> my questions: where can I found the last up-to-date D standard well presented like
> a Javadoc?

Short answer: You can't. :)

Long answer:
Like I said, Phobos is a work in progress, and now that the language
specification itself has been frozen, you can expect big changes to the
library in the near future.

The best guide to which parts of Phobos are newest (and therefore less
likely to change in the future) is the changelog.  The major changes
started with DMD 2.029:

   http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html#new2_029

-Lars