incompatible types!

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 5 13:23:31 PDT 2011

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 15:48:36 -0400, Caligo <iteronvexor at gmail.com> wrote:

> I searched the bugzilla and there are 'alias this' related bugs.  Some
> of them are 2 years old and have not been fixed.

There are many bugs in that category.  inout I think is a prime example.

I don't really know what to say to appease your expectations, except to
have patience or try learning the comipler code.  If I had time and was
compiler-savvy I might fix some bugs, but I don't and I'm not.  Walter and
Don seem to do a lot of good bug fixes, and usually these are critical
issues.  I think it won't be long before Walter or Don can start working
on half-implemented features.  I know of no timeline though.

> I've heard bugs get fixed rather quickly if something is posted on
> reddit about them.

I wouldn't push this avenue too much, if it is true, it's likely to become
not true quite quickly if abused.

I think it's more that bugs posted on reddit from people outside the D
community look like outward-facing warts, and Walter and Andrei have a
compulsive urge to make sure those are covered up quickly.  I personally
don't see why it's important, as long as progress is being made on
*something*.  Clearly the most visible wart was lack of 64-bit support,
and that is almost resolved.

But progress *is* being made.  I think that's what's important right now.
D2 is still very much beta, and Phobos 2 is very much alpha.

-Steve