incompatible types!

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 5 17:15:27 PDT 2011

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 19:37:15 -0400, Caligo <iteronvexor at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's just frustrating, that's all.  Writing thousands of lines of code
> and having everything stop because of a compiler bug is just
> frustrating.

I completely understand.  It's why I have to periodically stop using D.
Dcollections sat idle for over a year while I waited for a compiler bug to
be fixed.

> I know progress is being made, and all that is appreciated.  But, I
> don't remember ever hearing anything about D2 being in beta.  If
> anything, I remember months ago where D2 was recommended for new
> projects.  So, now I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do.  Start all
> over again from scratch?  I really like my design, so I guess I'll
> have to wait till it gets fixed.

Sorry you got that impression.  The fact is, as long as you are using the
non-broken features, D2 is pretty useful, even downright awesome :)  The
issue is, if you hit one of those broken ones.  Unfortunately, the release
of TDPL didn't make all those features magically appear fully
implemented.  So since TDPL is promoted as the offical language spec, D2
suddenly jumped way back in the release cycle, since many of its
unimplemented/not-fully-implemented features became "official".

I'd highly recommend *NOT* to use D2 for new projects unless you are
willing to redesign your code to work around those issues, or wait for
them to be fixed.  I truly wish this wasn't the case, but I don't see how
anyone can confidently recommend D2 for professional or non-toy projects.
This may sound like an anti-endorsement, but I assure you it is not.  I
think D2 is going to be absolutely killer when it's finished.  I just
would not use it for professional development *right now*, where deadlines
and budgets are under consideration.  If you can afford to put it down
when it breaks and wait for a fix, then I think it will be worth the wait.

-Steve