NaCl stable ABI

Adam Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 08:52:09 PDT 2011

Peter Alexander wrote:
> If D were usable in NaCl that would be a huge selling point for the
> language.

Well, let's set aside my personal things and see how this might be
done.

Based on what I've read so far, it actually sounds easy enough, codegen
wise.

It might be possible to drop gdc into their hacked up gcc backend and
have it work with minimal effort.

Or, changing dmd's backend to emit code for it might not be hard
either. It looks like it'd just have to align jumps, which should
be as simple as padding labels with some nops.

The bigger difficulty I suspect will be porting the runtime... but,
since it builds on C in a lot of places, that might be simple too.

I can't find more details on what's needed to happen to the compilers,
but I'm really thinking it won't be very difficult to make it happen.