NaCl stable ABI

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Aug 3 13:29:48 PDT 2011

"Peter Alexander" <peter.alexander.au at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:j1asck$81d$1 at digitalmars.com...

> The games industry has been crying out for something like NaCl for a long
> time. It is exactly what we want:
>
> - Ability to launch games within browser without a plugin download
> - Platform independent ABI
> - No f*cking Javascript (performance will never match C++)
> - Safe (no need for end users to worry)
>

> JavaScript for high-quality games is a non-starter. It's too slow.

Browser for "high-quality" games is a non-starter. What idiot would rather
play a game inside a damn browser? You could have all the speed in the
world, and the browser would still be completely unsuitable for anything
beyond dinky little popcap-style shit. We've had Quake playable in the
browser for awhile now: and who the hell actually plays it that way? And who
actually wants to? It's nothing but a "Gee whiz, look what we can do in a
browser!" dick-measuring contest.

The whole premise of games in a browser is idiotic. What is needed is
0install and an OS-level security model that's actually good, or something
along those lines. None of this Google-mentality "pretending the browser is
a platform" bullshit.

The browser is a complete strawman here; cramming games into it is solving
the wrong issue. It's exactly the old web-app trend all over again: People
thought web-based stuff made deployment easier (in a few different ways: not
all of which were actually true) and thought that it was safe/secure (which,
frankly, has never really been true). So instead of *soving those issues* by
putting their focus on improving deployment of *real* apps (via something
like 0install) and pushing for improved OS security models (via something
like selinux maybe? Seriously how much push is actualyl behind that? Not
nearly enough), the morons started cramming apps into the browser (well,
that and Valve's Steam abomination) and consequently fucked up computing
while *still* not solving half the issues they thought they were solving
anyway.

If the games industry is crying out for faster in-browser computing, then
what they're asking for is a faster horse. But it figures: I mean this is
the stupid motherfuck industry that's spent the last ten years completely
ignoring who they're *supposed* to be (***VIDEOGAME*** developers) and
instead running around as a bunch of goddamn graphics-whore, "storytime",
Pixar/Hollywood wannabe, IP-fellatiatng, fucking posers. Especially the
absolutely disgraceful graphics-whore and "Pixar/Hollywood wannabe" parts.
Those two in particular can't be over-emphasized.