Assertion failure: '!cases' on line 2620 in file 'statement.c'

%u e at ee.com
Thu Jan 13 04:51:47 PST 2011

== Quote from Don (nospam at nospam.com)'s article
> It's in a switch statement somewhere.
> It sounds as though this is a bug which involves multiple files, so
> it'll be difficult to reduce it.
> If you're able to compile DMD, change this line in statement.c line 2620:
> Statement *SwitchStatement::semantic(Scope *sc)
> {
>      //printf("SwitchStatement::semantic(%p)\n", this);
>      tf = sc->tf;
> +   if (cases) error("xxx");
>      assert(!cases);             // ensure semantic() is only run once
> and then you'll get the line number where the error is.

Yay for first time compiling dmd :)

> If you can provide the function which contains the switch statement,
> there's a chance I could reproduce it.

I've got something better.. a minimal version :)
Which even crashes through bud.

----
module main;

enum E { A = 0 };

struct S{
  int i;

  static S func( S s, E e ){
    switch( e ) //<---------- here
    {
      default:return s;

  static const S s_def = { 1 };
  //static const S A = func(s_def, E.A ); // forward reference error + crash
  //static const S[1] ARR = [ E.A : func(s_def, E.A )]; // error : xxx + crash
}

void main(){}
----
To test all this I switched from 1.065 to 1.066; just to make sure it hadn't been
fixed already.
And now my project won't compile any more even though bud+1.065 will happily do so..
bud+ 1.066 gives me the following (no crash though)

Max # of fixups = 89
Max # of fixups = 4
Max # of fixups = 112
Max # of fixups = 17