D1: out of memory

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Mon Jan 24 15:03:18 PST 2011

On 24/01/11 22:14, %u wrote:
> How do I get dmd's memory usage a few hundred MBs down?
> I keep having to close everything in order not to get an out of memory error
> while compiling (-w -full).
> I'd like to get it from 700-800 to below 400 :)
> Any way to inspect which part is the biggest drain?

CTFE and templates will use up the most memory - particularly if you use
a lot of strings, as the memory allocated is never freed. You can work
around it be compiling files one at a time or a few at a time, so
instead of:

$ dmd file1.d file2.d

Use:

$ dmd -c file1.d
$ dmd -c file2.d
$ dmd file1.o file2.o

Note if you're doing this you may like to look into the -op option to
avoid object file conflicts which will lead to linker errors.

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/