std.concurrency.spawn does not accept delegates

teo teo.ubuntu at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 19 14:03:27 PDT 2011

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 18:31:19 +0000, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

> On 2011-07-19 05:40, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 18:39:01 -0400, Jonathan M Davis
>> <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>
>>
>> wrote:

>> > When passing data between threads, it must be immutable.
>>
>> I have to jump in and correct you, nobody else has.
>>
>> You can also pass data marked as shared.
>>
>> A solution could be to cast the class as shared, pass it, then cast it
>> back to unshared (ensuring you don't access the class from the
>> originator anymore).
>>
>> This is not a compiler-enforced solution, but it gets the job done. But
>> there is risk of concurrency errors if you don't do it right. My
>> recommendation is to isolate the parts that create and pass the shared
>> data.
>
> I thought that spawn and send disallowed shared and that you had to deal
> with shared separately, but if that's not the case, then that's not the
> case. Regardless, you can't just pass anything with spawn or send (as
> the OP seems to be trying to do). They have restrictions to avoid
> concurrency bugs.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Well, I tried to pass a this pointer, because I wasn't able to use a
delegate as a control function of the thread. All I need is access to the
data within a class instance. That isn't static data.

Basically I have an object which encapsulates the access to some
resource. Let's call it a generator. One can configure some parameters
and later just switch it on. That should be in a worker thread, because
some operations are blocking. I also need certain events to be
communicated to other threads within the process. Passing messages is
fine, because the data is immutable.

Now with spawn I have to use either a regular function or a static method
of the class. The only other option that comes to my mind is to copy the
implementation of the message box from std.concurrency and use the
core.thread.Thread directly instead of spawn. Perhaps that will work.