Linux: How to statically link against system libs?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon May 9 14:28:04 PDT 2011

"Spacen Jasset" <spacenjasset at yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:iq69q1$1ack$1 at digitalmars.com...
> It should work,but again is depends what your target platform is. It's
> quite important that - Even on windows. At the company I am now
> contracting for we compile the software agents using visual studio 2003
> because later versions do not let the agent work with windows 98. This is
> not just a Linux phenomenon.
>
> Centos 4 is fairly new, and it's possible that your hosting providers use
> older, even unsupported versions of distributions. Centos 3 might have
> been a wiser bet. In any case centos 4.7 is a point release of 4.0 and as
> such there should be no breaking libc changes.

I noticed the 4.7+ installers have an option for i586, but there seems to be
a lot of conflicting info about whether the non-i586 install is i386 or
i686. Any idea? I've heard that CentOS 5 is i686 despite claiming to be
i386, but I can't find any concrete info about whether that's true of 4.x as
well.