Linux: How to statically link against system libs?

Spacen Jasset spacenjasset at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 11 00:06:09 PDT 2011

On 09/05/2011 22:28, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Spacen Jasset"<spacenjasset at yahoo.co.uk>  wrote in message
> news:iq69q1$1ack$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> It should work,but again is depends what your target platform is. It's
>> quite important that - Even on windows. At the company I am now
>> contracting for we compile the software agents using visual studio 2003
>> because later versions do not let the agent work with windows 98. This is
>> not just a Linux phenomenon.
>>
>> Centos 4 is fairly new, and it's possible that your hosting providers use
>> older, even unsupported versions of distributions. Centos 3 might have
>> been a wiser bet. In any case centos 4.7 is a point release of 4.0 and as
>> such there should be no breaking libc changes.
>>

> I noticed the 4.7+ installers have an option for i586, but there seems to be
> a lot of conflicting info about whether the non-i586 install is i386 or
> i686. Any idea? I've heard that CentOS 5 is i686 despite claiming to be
> i386, but I can't find any concrete info about whether that's true of 4.x as
> well.

Well It shouldn't matter, as long as it doesn't day x86_64, in which
case it's 64 bit. i.e. parts of the kernel may use i686 instructions, if
available, which doesn't matter for you at all I guess. It's got nothing
to do with dmd. Or ld unless you tell it to generate something for a
specific processor.