Linux: How to statically link against system libs?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Mon May 9 19:19:30 PDT 2011

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> 2. Remove "-L--no-warn-search-mismatch"

Note for readers: this is in dmd.conf and is a relatively new thing.
My dmd 2.051 and older installs always worked, but with the 2.053
beta I just played with, had to make this change as well as
recompile dmd for stupid centos to work with it.

>  CentOS 4.2 (or maybe it's just KDE) runs so slow in a VM

KDE sucks. The best thing to do is probably to not bother with a
gui in the vm at all as well as to not use the virtual machine
screen - they are slow as sin.

Instead, run sshd on the linux vm, make inbound networking work
to port 22 (however you do that in virtual box) and then access
it through PuTTY or something.

That way, you bypass the slow ass VM graphics entirely.

(similarly, if you virtualize Windows, Remote Desktop into the
VM works a lot better than the vm's own graphics in my experience).