Linux: How to statically link against system libs?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon May 9 22:07:20 PDT 2011

"Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:iqadbi$m16$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Do we know what that switch is for?
> --no-warn-search-mismatch
>   Normally ld will give a warning if it finds an incompatible library
>   during a library search.  This option silences the warning.
>
> In the DMD changelog, there was a note about making the linker
> a little less noisy. I assume that's the reasoning behind the change.

Well I feel a little better about that, then. I was (perhaps irrationally)
worried it might be something that was required by some major thing in
dmd/druntime/phobos that my "hello world" just happened to not use.

>> Actually I just realized it was Gnome.
>
> Gnome sucks too!
>
> (I actually run a mostly custom linux gui. Customly hacked up
> window manager, custom theme, custom taskbar, hacked up terminals,
> hacked up IM client.... my own linux install is one of the very
> few on the planet that doesn't suck ass. It still sucks, mind you,
> just not ass anymore.)

Heh. Hardcore :)  I've actually come close to making my own IM client out of
frustration, but libpidgin was a pain, and then everyone I knew abandoned IM
so they could shell out money for SMS (Go figure). I finally stopped even
bothering to run Pidgin a few weeks ago since it had been about a year since
anyone on my list had even been on.

But yea.  When I was on Ubuntu 9.04 (or was it 9.06?) I was getting tired of
a few annoying little Gnome quirks here and there. It was pretty zippy with
the NVidia drivers and hardware accel though, and I got a real kick out of
the...ummm...what my brother called "jelly windows". I'm not normally an
eye-candy guy (at least not these days - I used to be), but I never got
tired of that feature :) But when I tried upgrading to 10.04, the jelly
windows suddenly worked like crap (ie, ultra-slow) no matter what I did.
Plus, again, I was getting tired of some other weird Gnome quirks, so I
ended up going with Kubuntu 10.04 instead of Ubuntu 10.04 (and gave up on my
beloved jelly windows entirely :( )

Unfortunately, KDE 4 has turned out to be even worse. And I know it had a
notably botched introduction and then got better, but I have 4.5 running on
my machine and it's still by far the buggiest, most inconsistent window
manager I've ever used. I think I'd actually be happier with CDE: It had an
incredibly bizarre UI, but at least it seemed to run smoothly and
consistently once you learned how to work it. Compared to KDE4 anyway.

Then there's Gnome 3 which I've never used, but it sounds terrible. And then
Ubuntu's upcoming Unity (I think that's what it's called?) just looks like
iOS/Android to me, and I can't stand those devices. (I really, really miss
PalmOS. It's the only OS in existence I can honestly say I genuinely like.
Not perfect (especially with Grafitti 2 replacing Grafitti1), but overall
very good and the upcoming versions were looking great before they killed it
off in favor of that WebOS junk. Boy did I get offtopic there...)

So anyway, I'm getting ready to try going Debian+XFCE (for my actual
physical linux box). I had tried Xubuntu about a couple years ago, but
probably the biggest problem I had with it was the fact I still ended up
needing to use at least a few Gnome and KDE apps, so all that bloat just got
loaded in anyway and also made the desktop that much more inconsistent. Meh.
Oh well. Maybe I'll be happier this time around. And if not, maybe I'll try
Trinity DE. It's got to at least be better than KDE 4. Lol, or maybe I'll go
back to blackbox ;)

Unfortunately, I don't have the time or patience to do any heavy
customizing/configuring. If I did, I might not have been driven away from
Linux when I first tried it ten years ago. :/

>> XP seems to work fine for me in VirtualBox
>
> Yeah, it's not bad on my comp either, but I always find some
> annoying lag as menus pop up and things like that.
>
> Other benefits of remote desktop though are easier sound and
> file/clipboard sharing without installing anything in the guest.
>
> Whatever floats your boat, but after I tried out the remote
> desktop strategy I was very pleased.

I've been hesitent to bother figuring out how to set up such things with a
VM since the built-in GUI seemed to at least basically work. But yea, maybe
I'll give those things a shot. After all, I did at least manage to figure
out how to work VirtualBox's shared folders :)