Linux: How to statically link against system libs?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue May 10 07:59:16 PDT 2011

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> I've actually come close to making my own IM client out of
> frustration, but libpidgin was a pain

Hah, I started one as well, with only aim support. It actually kinda
works (and written in D), but I keep changing my D gui stuff around
(this program is one of the D Windowing System test apps, which
changes then stagnates then changes then is tabled then changes...)
that it's not really usable.

I basically settled for gaim 1.5 with a few modifications.
Annoyingly, bugs have crept in as the stupid gtk or glib updates
and gaim doesn't, but I know it's limits so if it crashes when
I close a tab, I just don't close tabs like that.

Gaim is one of those programs that went to pure crap with a new
version though. Pidgin, gaim 2.0, is just utterly unusable to me.

>  Lol, or maybe I'll go back to blackbox ;)

Blackbox rocks. It's what I used as my starting point. Actually,
my custom WM is a fairly short diff from blackbox. It's biggest
shortcoming, but that's a gift as well as a curse - it leaves
the door open to put in a customized one!

> Unfortunately, I don't have the time or patience to do any heavy
> customizing/configuring. If I did, I might not have been driven
> away from Linux when I first tried it ten years ago.

What happened with me is I kinda locked myself into it. Switching
away would be an even bigger hassle due to moving files and such,
so I stuck with it, slowly excising the worst of the suck.

The thing that still pisses me off beyond belief is something I
can't fix myself - interoperability, the topic of this thread.

(see I'm still on topic!)