Linux: How to statically link against system libs?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue May 10 23:48:42 PDT 2011

"Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote in message
news:iqd84f$2bv3$1 at digitalmars.com...
> "Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote in message
> news:iq9ujn$111t$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>
>> The only problem I'm having now (aside from the fact that I haven't
>> attempted to deal with the other shared host server yet - the debian one
>> from the horrible ipower company), is that CentOS 4.2 (or maybe it's just
>> KDE) runs so slow in a VM that it frequently doesn't recognize when I let
>> go of a key and so then it goes off doing crazy shit. :/  Or it'll swap
>> my key presses if I type too fast. At one point I had a hell of a time
>> just getting it to let me type in "cd dmd" correctly. (I don't think it's
>> entirely because of my computer though. XP runs just fine in a VM for me,
>> even with only 192MB RAM allocated to it instead of the 512MB given to
>> CentOS 4.2) So I'm going to try putting CentOS 4.9 in a VM and replacing
>> KDE with XFCE. And I'll also have VirtualBox enable 3D accel and see if
>> maybe then the "VirtualBox Guest Additions" package will be able to use
>> OpenGL.
>>

> It turns out the problem is rooted in the fact that 2.6 kernel uses
> 1,000Hz for...umm...something or other...whereas the 2.4 kernel only used
> 100Hz. Seems that's caused a lot of big performance problems in VMs.
> Apperently this was sorted out in one of the CentOS 5.x point releases,
> but CentOS 4 needs to use a specially-built kernel. Which, of course, I
> don't have a f'ing clue how to do.

Hmm, it seems what it needs are some "Kernel Parameters", however the hell
those are applied:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1006427

> I did find some pre-made "VM-ified CentOS" VMs here:
> http://people.centos.org/tru/vmware/  I got the
> "centos-4-20100321/CentOS-4_desktop.i386.zip" one, and it seems to work
> except that X doesn't run because it complains it can't find any screens
> (or something like that). Not a clue on how to fix that, but the text-mode
> commandline + VirtualBox's shared folder's should hopefully be enough for
> me to at least get by.

Ah. I installed the VirtualBox's Guest Additions, rebooted, and then X was
working just fine :) And nice and zippy too this time (relatively speaking,
of course, but it's *much* better now and actually usable). I do need to
re-install the guest additions again now to get the fancy seamless
integrated-mouse stuff that's part of the guest additions. But it all seems
good now :)