Linux: How to statically link against system libs?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue May 10 22:47:34 PDT 2011

"Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote in message
news:iq9ujn$111t$1 at digitalmars.com...

> The only problem I'm having now (aside from the fact that I haven't
> attempted to deal with the other shared host server yet - the debian one
> from the horrible ipower company), is that CentOS 4.2 (or maybe it's just
> KDE) runs so slow in a VM that it frequently doesn't recognize when I let
> go of a key and so then it goes off doing crazy shit. :/  Or it'll swap my
> key presses if I type too fast. At one point I had a hell of a time just
> getting it to let me type in "cd dmd" correctly. (I don't think it's
> entirely because of my computer though. XP runs just fine in a VM for me,
> even with only 192MB RAM allocated to it instead of the 512MB given to
> CentOS 4.2) So I'm going to try putting CentOS 4.9 in a VM and replacing
> KDE with XFCE. And I'll also have VirtualBox enable 3D accel and see if
> maybe then the "VirtualBox Guest Additions" package will be able to use
> OpenGL.

It turns out the problem is rooted in the fact that 2.6 kernel uses 1,000Hz
for...umm...something or other...whereas the 2.4 kernel only used 100Hz.
Seems that's caused a lot of big performance problems in VMs. Apperently
this was sorted out in one of the CentOS 5.x point releases, but CentOS 4
needs to use a specially-built kernel. Which, of course, I don't have a
f'ing clue how to do. I did find some pre-made "VM-ified CentOS" VMs here:
http://people.centos.org/tru/vmware/  I got the
"centos-4-20100321/CentOS-4_desktop.i386.zip" one, and it seems to work
except that X doesn't run because it complains it can't find any screens (or
something like that). Not a clue on how to fix that, but the text-mode
commandline + VirtualBox's shared folder's should hopefully be enough for me
to at least get by.