Linux: How to statically link against system libs?

Spacen Jasset spacenjasset at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 10 23:55:20 PDT 2011

On 10/05/2011 04:48, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Adam D. Ruppe"<destructionator at gmail.com>  wrote in message
> news:iqa7bi$1djh$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> 2. Remove "-L--no-warn-search-mismatch"
>>
>> Note for readers: this is in dmd.conf and is a relatively new thing.
>> My dmd 2.051 and older installs always worked, but with the 2.053
>> beta I just played with, had to make this change as well as
>> recompile dmd for stupid centos to work with it.
>>

> Do we know what that switch is for? Just curious.
>
>>>   CentOS 4.2 (or maybe it's just KDE) runs so slow in a VM
>>
>> KDE sucks. The best thing to do is probably to not bother with a
>> gui in the vm at all as well as to not use the virtual machine
>> screen - they are slow as sin.
>>

> Actually I just realized it was Gnome. (I don't know I could have mixed
> those two up...)
>
>> Instead, run sshd on the linux vm, make inbound networking work
>> to port 22 (however you do that in virtual box) and then access
>> it through PuTTY or something.
>>
>> That way, you bypass the slow ass VM graphics entirely.
>>

>> (similarly, if you virtualize Windows, Remote Desktop into the
>> VM works a lot better than the vm's own graphics in my experience).
>
> XP seems to work fine for me in VirtualBox (And my CPU doesn't even have
> hardware virtualization support). But I may go ahead and try something like
> you're suggesting.

I have had trouble with this same thing before using versions of VMware.
However, we use vmware virtual server now (free) to run centos 4. to
power a media wiki site, which does work without any trouble.

Although I have found virtualbox is generally very good with all this.
Otherwise yes, I would try to ssh in instead.