How To Dynamic Web Rendering?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon May 16 13:27:17 PDT 2011

"Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:iqrj55$24d8$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Alexander wrote:
>
> Database access vs a session cache is another thing you'd profile.
> I suspect you'd be surprised - database engine authors spend a lot
> of time making sure their engine does fast reads, and frequently
> used tables will be in a RAM cache.

Yea, that's really one of the main points of a DBMS: Efficient access to
large amounts of data.

Although I'd imagine accessing a DB for simple things could easily end up
slower if the DB is on a different server. Big companies will often have
setups like. Then again, if the network is all designed as set up well, and
not congested, and the DB does have the data in RAM cache, then I'd imagine
the lack of needing to do physical disk I/O could still make it faster.

>> It *can* enforce, by refusing non-encrypted connection, or
>> redirecting to https when access is done by http.
>
> My point is it requires server setup too, like buying and
> installing a certificate. You can't *just* redirect and have to work.

That's not as bad as you may think, I've done that for my server recently. I
*highly* recommend StartSSL. Most SSL/TLS certs are pretty expensive, but
StartSSL has a free one:

http://www.startssl.com/?app=1

The only real limitations are:

- You have to renew it every 1 year.
- Each cert is only good for one domain, and no subdomains (although the
"www" subdomain is included for free, in addition to "no subdomain").
- The only validation it does is validation of the domain and contact email.

There are, naturally, some hoops to jump through when setting it up
(generating/installing a client certificate first so you can authenticate
with their site). But their site walks you through everything step by step,
and if you just follow the directions you can have it all done in minutes.
Their system does require JS, and doesn't really handle using multiple tabs,
but they don't do any annoying flashiness with the JS, and even my
notoriously JS-hating self still finds it well worth it.

I've been using it on my site for a little over a year and haven't had any
problems. It's been great.