How to interface with existing Java Code at the API level.

Matthew Ong ongbp at yahoo.com
Mon May 23 00:42:48 PDT 2011

On 5/21/2011 11:27 PM, Robert Clipsham wrote:
> On 21/05/2011 09:58, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> On 2011-05-21 01:04, Matthew Ong wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> D has major potential to replace C/C++ at the system API level.
>>> What I can see D is doing now is trying to glue to the existing C API
>>> instead of replacing that OLD OLD language.
>>>
>>> But it is too early to see if that is the case at the Business
>>> Application level to replace enterprise level resources(like JMS/MQ, .
>>>
>>> Because of this, D could be a strong enhancement:
>>> 1) to allow other VM base language to interface with the native layer of
>>> the OS that they are sitting on.
>>> 2) hiding some implementation logic in pure machine binary.
>>> 3) speeding up some existing IO/Hardware interfacing that is not able
>>> to be done by Java/C# directly.
>>>
>>> I am not too sure how the D dll works completely, but I guess. The end
>>> results would be same as a C dll. but how to figure out the header file
>>> in the C compatible as that was written in D.
>>>
>>> Then some example would needed to be provided
>>>
>>> From what I can see, as a starting show case project.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/wmeissner/jffi
>>
>> The likely way to interface between D and Java would be to use a C (or
>> maybe
>> C++) interoperability layer in between them. I'm not sure that it can
>> realistically be done any other way at this point.
>>
>> - Jonathan M Davis
>
> As a side note, Bernard Helyer is working on import(Java) for his D
> compiler, and I believe Andrei is trying to persuade him to port it to
> work with dmd once he's done -
> https://github.com/bhelyer/SDC/commit/41d54a7a1fc57c3745493ee69b2be7bb59dc04c6
> - I believe that allows for import(Java) my.java.class;

Cool!!! Ruby took off with JRuby because someone done such work for
calling java api within ruby. According to JRuby people, JRuby now is
faster than Ruby.

That is from java into D and Not from D api into Java.
Many cross platform GUI program with using some Java and linked into dll
written by D. I can see that this is NOT the approach for that project.

Will however take a look.

--
Matthew Ong
email: ongbp at yahoo.com