How to interface with existing Java Code at the API level.

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Sat May 21 08:27:29 PDT 2011

On 21/05/2011 09:58, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On 2011-05-21 01:04, Matthew Ong wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> D has major potential to replace C/C++ at the system API level.
>> What I can see D is doing now is trying to glue to the existing C API
>> instead of replacing that OLD OLD language.
>>
>> But it is too early to see if that is the case at the Business
>> Application level to replace enterprise level resources(like JMS/MQ, .
>>
>> Because of this, D could be a strong enhancement:
>> 1) to allow other VM base language to interface with the native layer of
>> the OS that they are sitting on.
>> 2) hiding some implementation logic in pure machine binary.
>> 3) speeding up some existing IO/Hardware interfacing that is not able
>> to be done by Java/C# directly.
>>
>> I am not too sure how the D dll works completely, but I guess. The end
>> results would be same as a C dll. but how to figure out the header file
>> in the C compatible as that was written in D.
>>
>> Then some example would needed to be provided
>>
>>   From what I can see, as a starting show case project.
>>
>> https://github.com/wmeissner/jffi
>
> The likely way to interface between D and Java would be to use a C (or maybe
> C++) interoperability layer in between them. I'm not sure that it can
> realistically be done any other way at this point.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

As a side note, Bernard Helyer is working on import(Java) for his D
compiler, and I believe Andrei is trying to persuade him to port it to
work with dmd once he's done -
https://github.com/bhelyer/SDC/commit/41d54a7a1fc57c3745493ee69b2be7bb59dc04c6
- I believe that allows for import(Java) my.java.class;

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/