FastCGI binding or implementation?

Jeremy Sandell jlsandell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 10:24:34 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:

> On 2011-10-17 16:01, Andrea Fontana wrote:
>
>> I handle request on different threads. I do some pre-processing on
>> scgi data and I fill a struct:
>>
>> request.get[]
>> request.post[]
>> request.cookie[]
>> request.headers[string]
>>
>> then I call a virtual function (to override on subclasses) like:
>>
>> do(request, output);
>>
>> where user fill output struct in a way like:
>>
>> output.data ~= "<html><body><h1>hello world</h1></body></html>";
>> output.status = 200
>> output.cookies = bla bla
>>
>> and then if is method != "head" i send headers + data, else just
>> "headers".
>>
>> btw 99% of usage is get, post, head.
>>

> Yes, but if you want to write a web site that is RESTful you need the other
> HTTP methods as well, at least PUT and DELETE.
>
> BTW, what about creating something like Rack but for D. Rack is a low level
> interface in front of the web server which web frameworks can be built on
> top.
>
> http://rack.github.com/
>
> --
> /Jacob Carlborg

Yes, this is exactly why I was wondering whether FastCGI had been
implemented (though SCGI works for me as well) - so that I could write
something on top of it, in much the same way I would using (for example)
WSGI in Python.

I also agree with you re: supporting all of the HTTP methods. Just because
the most common ones are GET, POST, and HEAD doesn't mean we should leave
out the others; both PUT and DELETE are quite useful.

Best regards,
Jeremy Sandell