Why is std.string.format a c-style variadic function?

Ellery Newcomer ellery-newcomer at utulsa.edu
Mon Sep 26 17:43:25 PDT 2011

On 09/26/2011 11:15 AM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> On 9/26/11, Ellery Newcomer <ellery-newcomer at utulsa.edu> wrote:
>> std.metastrings.Format wouldn't be what you want, would it?
>>

> Yep it is, Jonathan mentioned it above.

thunderbird hates me. second time I give an answer made redundant by
orphaned subthread.

I'll counter by giving random unsolicited thoughts on Format:

don't use it for codegen (or any long format strings, I suppose). dmd
chokes on it very quickly.

format specifiers could use positional parameters or something. Last
summer I actually wrote a Replace template to scratch that itch. dmd
choked on it pretty quickly too.