WinRT

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Sep 29 23:25:37 PDT 2011

On 2011-09-30 00:13, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "RenatoL"<renato at relhost.net>  wrote in message
> news:j62q4v$25tn$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> Eh eh, it may be strange something good come out from MS... but i
>> think this time we could look at this with interest.... this an
>> object replacement for win32 and the OS exposes it in an "open"
>> way... i believe this is good for D (and Delphi, Scala....)
>
> I'm not sure it's so good for D. Some of the comments here...
>
> http://www.winsupersite.com/blog/supersite-blog-39/windows8/winrt-replacing-win32-140605
>
> ...seem to suggest that HTML/JS/etc apps will have roughly the same speed as
> native C++ apps. If that's true, then it can only mean that Win8 severely
> gimps the performance of natively-compiled apps. It's not as if they've
> found some magic technology to install a native-JS-executing CPU into your
> computer.

That's very hard to believe.

> Of course, this is all getting *very* speculative at this point.

I've watched two video clips from the Build conference about C++, one
was about C++ in WinRT. It looks and sounds pretty good to me, although
I haven't looked at any other parts of Windows 8. I like the idea of
having a completely object oriented system API that you also can share
among other languages.

Note that it's not often I say something good about Microsoft.

--
/Jacob Carlborg