Up to date documentation on D implementation.

ReneSac reneduani at yahoo.com.br
Thu Apr 5 15:42:57 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 5 April 2012 at 22:07:05 UTC, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> On Thursday, 5 April 2012 at 21:10:41 UTC, ReneSac wrote:
>
>> I will probably program close to C/Lua style (the languages
>> I'm most proficient with), but "pretty far" is vague. And I
>> haven't been following the time line of the feature additions,
>> like old users do, and I'm not sure if I should read the
>> entire changelog for some vague indication of the stability of
>> a feature...
>
> The page I liked does have compiler versions for some of the
> implemented features, as you appear to have noticed.

Ah, I saw "The following list of major issues dates from July
2009." So I supposed it was old, but now I see that I understood
wrong.

>>> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel
>>
>> Ok, that page gives some pointers. Seems like I shouldn't use
>> std.stream. So, std.cstream or std.stdio are safe?
>
> Hmm, bring up a good point, I think someone is working on
> revamping stdio, though I would think it would mostly remain
> compatible. Who's doing that? Could you write the details here:

So, what I should use?

> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?ReviewQueue
>
>> Dynamic Arrays, Slicing, Unittest, conditional compilation and
>> compile time function execution should be working well, right?
>
> Yep, there are some requested improvements but, things are
> stable.
Good! Thanks.

>> What about std.paralelism and message passing, non-shared
>> multithreading?
>
> I'm not sure how much use they have been getting, so it is hard
> to say. I know there have been questions about how to use them,
> but they seem solid.
>
> If you get into using shared though, you'll probably walk into
> areas that will require casting to get things done. I don't
> know what if any changes are planned, but likely it needs a
> closer look.

I would try to avoid anything shared anyway. It is hard to
program if "a++" isn't deterministic...

> Sorry, forgot to cover that. I believe GDC will compile 64bit
> Windows applications, but otherwise you can still compile and
> run 32bit applications.
>
> Most people use DMD, but GDC, I hear, should be on par.

I don't need a 64bit binary right now. Actually, I would even
prefer a 32bit one for development because then I can't run too
wild in memory usage. The problem is that DMD seems to require 32
bit windows, according to the page I linked... Is it not true?

Anyway, GDC seems to have quite better performance/optimization,
so I may end up using it... But I also heard bad things about it
in old posts... so...