float[] → Vertex[] – decreases performance by 1000%

David d at dav1d.de
Tue Aug 28 15:25:32 PDT 2012

> But I'd like you to not ignore all the bugs you find, and instead
> minimize some of them and submit them to Bugzilla. Despite thousands of
> open bugs and about a hundred of open patches, many bugs do get fixed at
> every release. If you submit bugs, D/DMD will improve, in your future
> you will find less bugs to work around in your D code, and you will help
> other present and future D programmers avoid hitting them. This is
> important because D is young and its community is small. The idea is:
> they give you a compiler/language for free, and you give something back
> to the community submitting some bugs :-)

I totally agree

 > I understand you don't care much anymore for the discussed problem, and
 > I know that localizing D/DMD bugs requires some time and work.

And that's the problem, I tried to track down a few of the bugs I hit.
50% vanished when I changed unrelated code (cool hugh? getting a
segfault in std.net.curl → std.regex → std.functional.memoize, when
chaning your ResourceManager, which has really nothing to do with either
curl, regex or std.functional nor the module which calls std.net.curl),
then I wasn't able to reproduce a few others, in the end, I think, I was
able to track down a single dmd bug. That was with a relativly small
code-base (maybe 1-2k?) now I have around 8k and I just don't have the
time and maybe the knowledge. At least I can fix phobos/druntime bugs.

Not sure why I wrote that, I don't wanna whiny, D is great/buggy and I
knew it, when I started that project. And I am glad there are people
like you, Kenji and lots of others who keep on improving D in their free
time (not to forget Walter and Andrei).