const property don't wont return const reference to value

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Dec 23 06:55:29 PST 2012

Namespace:

> Shouldn't we fix this? Most of the Newcomer are confused with
> the fact,

Take a look in bugzilla. I opened an enhancement request to fix
this situation, but Walter has closed it down. The rationale is
to keep uniform the way D manages tags like const, immutable, etc.

I don't agree with him in this case: I agree that uniformity is
good, but breaking symmetry is acceptable when it just produces
an error and when it helps avoid a common mistake.

If you have strong desires about fixing this, then I suggest you
to open a new thread about it in the main D newsgroup. I have
already fought this battle and I lost. (And I think this time
Jonathan was on my side).

Bye,
bearophile