Named character entities

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 13 23:01:05 PST 2012

On 02/13/2012 09:46 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
 > What is the correct format for named character entities? According to
 > the online specs, I should be able to write:
 >
 > 	dchar ch = '&';
 >
 > But gdc-4.6.2 refuses to compile this; apparently it wants:
 >
 > 	dchar ch = '\&';
 >
 > Which is right??

The latter is right. The spec must be implying the \ character as all of
the other special character syntaxes use it. One of the reasons is that
character are specified the same way in strings. So "&" is 5
characters as written. Again, a \ character is required to distinguish
it as a single character literal.

Ali