Named character entities

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Feb 14 07:16:29 PST 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 11:01:05PM -0800, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> On 02/13/2012 09:46 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > What is the correct format for named character entities? According to
> > the online specs, I should be able to write:
> >
> > 	dchar ch = '&';
> >
> > But gdc-4.6.2 refuses to compile this; apparently it wants:
> >
> > 	dchar ch = '\&';
> >
> > Which is right??
[...]
> The latter is right. The spec must be implying the \ character as
> all of the other special character syntaxes use it. One of the
> reasons is that character are specified the same way in strings. So
> "&" is 5 characters as written. Again, a \ character is required
> to distinguish it as a single character literal.
[...]

Hmm, then the specs need to be fixed, since currently it says:

	EscapeSequence:
	    \'
	    \"
	    \?
	    \\
	    NamedCharacterEntity

And:

	NamedCharacterEntity:
	    & Identifier ;

Somewhere in there a \ needs to be included.

The right half of the brain controls the left half of the body. This
means that only left-handed people are in their right mind. -- Manoj
Srivastava