Chained Catch Statements

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 30 18:25:24 PST 2012

> I see no reason why the compiler should be reordering anything
> here. That changes the semantics of the code. It's not like
> it's a great burden on the programmer to just reorder the
> blocks so that they're in the correct order. Having the
> compiler give a warning or error would be plenty, and a lot
> better than letting the programmer continue to screw up their
> code in ignorance. If they don't understand how the catch
> blocks work, they're likely to screw up more than just the
> order.
>
> I do think that having the compiler complain when one catch
> block hides another makes a lot of sense, but I think that
> that's as far as it should go. It's the programmer's job to fix
> their code, not the compiler's.

You are right.. I just have wishful thinking of the compiler
being smart enough to auto-fix some things, but when you start
making assumptions then errors and problems tend to arise more.
That and if the compiler DOES reorder those blocks, then you
re-ordering them for a specific reason may not work and could
have unintended results. Course I don't see how with Try/catch
since only one block (plus finally) can be used at a time.