Error: null dereference in function _Dmain

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Jul 2 14:08:42 PDT 2012

On Monday, July 02, 2012 12:45:16 Ali Çehreli wrote:
> On 07/02/2012 11:36 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > By the way, it's pointless to compile with both -w and -wi. -wi makes
>
> it so
>
> > that warnings are displayed without stopping compilation. -w makes it
>
> so that
>
> > warnings are displayed and treated as errors (so they stop
>
> compilation). Pick
>
> > one or the other. I don't know which the compiler picks if you give
>
> it both,
>
> > but it's going to have to pick one or the other, and it may not pick
>
> the one
>
> > that you want.
>
> Then why is the documentation so misleading:
>
> -w enable warnings
>
> -wi enable informational warnings (i.e. compilation still proceeds normally)
>
> http://dlang.org/dmd-linux.html
>
> Me not know English good, but -wi sounds very much different from -w. :-T
>
> Further, both -w and -wi link to the following page, which does not
> mention -wi at all:
>
> http://dlang.org/warnings.html
>
> Sorry for whining... :(

That's what comes of -wi being tacked on later, I suppose. Clearly that needs
to be fixed. If it were any other compiler -wi would be the default behavior,
but Walter wrote it, so Nick had to beg until Walter suprisingly relented and
added -wi. Personally, I just always compile with -w and that -w was the
default, but whatever. The documentation needs to be fixed in either case.

- Jonathan M Davis