How to learn the D standard library?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Jul 6 16:10:10 PDT 2012

On Friday, July 06, 2012 01:55:08 David Piepgrass wrote:
> Now that I'm done reading the D Programming Language book, I'm
> wondering what's the quickest way to become acquainted with
> Phobos?

Reading the documentation is pretty much it.

http://dlang.org/phobos/index.html

I'm not aware of a lot of tutorials or anything like that. The big concept
that you'll have to get a proper understanding for is ranges, since Phobos
uses them heavily. The best article/tutorial on those right now is probably
this:

http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/ranges.html

There are some articles on the main website which will help you out as well
(they're listed on the left):

http://dlang.org/d-floating-point.html

But there's not really anything designed to introduce you to the standard
library or anything like that. The closest to that would be the article on
std.datetime ( http://dlang.org/intro-to-datetime.html ), but it's just
talking about the one module, not the library as a whole.

You can also look at the source code if you want to, but I don't know how
helpful that would be (it comes with the compiler, or you can look at the
latest here: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos ).

> P.S. is it possible to sign up to receive emails/digests for
> updates on the forums here?

We have one set of forums/newsgroups/mailing lists. You can pick your
interface:

web interface: http://forum.dlang.org/