ufcs and integer params

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 05:30:45 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 18 July 2012 at 11:37:43 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> Arguments! Yay!

I've gone over this a dozen times on the group and on
bugzilla, and I'm kinda sick of repeating it.

-property breaks craploads of code. That's a huge negative,
and nobody has even come close to countering that.

"-property will be the standard" is utterly worthless, yet
that's really the only thing I see brought up again.

The other most common thing is "I don't like how writeln = 10
looks". Easy response: then don't write that.

If you're going to break code because someone might write
something you find ugly - note this is different than the
arguments
people like Crockford make about, say, Javascript's ==, which he
argues
is a bug 95% of the time you see it, this is just "I don't like
how
that looks".

But if we're going to let the possibility for subjective ugliness
be justification for BREAKING CODE, I can't stress that enough,
we might as well just nuke the whole language.

BTW, a common fallacy I also here is bringing up the edge cases
like returning a delegate in a property. Two points:

1) That has *nothing* to do with syntax. The @property decoration
takes care of that, regardless of syntax. Why do we have to
break a common case to fix an edge case.... especially when
we /can/ have our cake and eat it too?

2) -property doesn't even get that right anyway. Not kidding,
try it. -property might as well be renamed -break-my-code-and-
give-me-ABSOLUTELY-NOTHING-in-return.

Why, why would we ever consent to having that standard?