Learning asynchronous sockets in D (well actually C...)

Jarl André" <jarl.andre at gmail.com> Jarl André" <jarl.andre at gmail.com>
Sun Jun 24 12:32:20 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 24 June 2012 at 19:10:55 UTC, Tobias Pankrath wrote:
>> * add -g and -debug=splat (or any other keywords) to the build
>> command
>

> You don't need a keyword -debug is sufficient. To make the
> binary work with a debugger you does not even need -debug, only
> -g. -debug only includes code that's in a debug-block.
>
>> * gdb bin/SimpleServer
>> * continue (on breakpoints)
>> * run (to run the program)
>> * bt (for backtrace)
>>
>> But of course, you all knew this before. But for a new D
>> developer that has never done anything in C or C++ this was
>> difficult as horses arse to understand.
>>
>> Is it wrong to badge myself with asynchronous sockets? :)
>>
>> https://github.com/jarlah/d2-simple-socket-server
>
> I conclude from this, that you don't have any (much) experience
> with a unix c toolchain. May I ask what languages you come
> from? What are your biggest issues with learning D? I've got
> the feeling that many in the D community expect a C++
> background from newcomers and we might need some material that
> lowers the barrier for people coming from say python.
>
> And I'd advice you to get a good frontend for gdb :-) It really
> makes a difference.

You are absolutely right. I have no valuable experience with unix
c toolchains. I have compiled c applications before, like hello
world examples with gcc, and I have compiled packages in linux
manually and know generally how c code compile. But I am
practically foolish on old school programming in C and C++ (well
C++ is actually totally different from C.. so I am less familiar
with that compared to C).

I am coming from an expert Java EE background. Currently sitting
everyday updating and adding new functionality in Java 6
applications. I know that in Java 8 we get lambdas, hopefully it
passes acceptance, yey! I have also done some hacking with
Scala/Liftweb, Groovy/Grails and have touched on Ruby and other
scripted languages. I was very interested before diving into D to
learn a native language. D suited this requirement plus being
almost Java like.

The thing that developers should come from a C/C++ background is
totally not acceptable. So we need to add a "Introduction to D
for Java developers" etc, that makes it easier to start hacking
right away. It took me frickin two to three weeks to get familiar
with the language, and now I am talking about the whole process.
The language syntax in it self was so easy to understand that I
got it straight away.