What is a good strategy for finding undefined symbols...

Michael Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Mon May 14 22:35:34 PDT 2012

On 5/15/2012 4:23 AM, WhatMeWorry wrote:

>> Linking happens when you build an executable. If you are
>> building just the libraries, there is no linking done at all.
>> To compile DerelictGL, you do not need to link anything.
>>
>> It appears you are compiling Derelict 2, in which case the
>> supplied makefiles should do everything necessary to build the
>> libraries:
>>
>> make -fwin32.mak
>>
>> Are you having difficulties with that?
>
> Well, the derelict page at:
>
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/derelict
>
> doesn't even mention a make file. It talks about "dmd -run
> build.me"

If you look at the Derelict 2 section near the top of that page,
you'll see the very last sentence says:

"The rest of the information on this page relates to Derelict1."

That means everything about buildme.d, DSSS, bud and so on are
all for Derelict 1, not Derelict 2. I suppose this is my fault
for assuming people would read the whole page and for not having
updated the Wiki since then to remove the Derelict 1 stuff.

Also, in that very same Derelict 2 section, is the following:

Work has begun on the documentation, which you can view online
at:
http://svn.dsource.org/projects/derelict/branches/Derelict2/doc/index.html

On that front documentation page, there is a section called
"General Facts you Need to Know". The very first item in that
list is "How to build Derelict", where 'build' is a link to the
page that explains how to compile the libraries. The next item in
the list tells you how to make use of Derelict in your programs.

You also get that very same documentation when you checkout or
download the Derelict 2 branch from SVN. It lives in the 'doc'
subdirectory.

Of course, I'm assuming you're using Derelict 2 since you say you
did get it to compile. Derelict 1 won't compile at all with D2,
it's D1 only. Derelict 2 is at
http://svn.dsource.org/projects/derelict/branches/Derelict2

If that's what you're using, then everything I said here applies.
If you're using the trunk, which is Derelict 1, stop and use the
Derelict 2 branch.