Simplified socket creation and handling

Nathan M. Swan nathanmswan at gmail.com
Sat May 19 13:33:48 PDT 2012

On Friday, 18 May 2012 at 06:35:59 UTC, Jarl André wrote:
> I am a Java developer who is tired of java.nio and similar
> complex socket libraries.
>
> In Java you got QuickServer, the ultimate protocol creation
> centered socket library. You don't have to write any channels
> and readers and what not. You just instantiate a server,
> configures the handlers (fill in classes that extends a handler
> interface) and there you go.
>
> Shouldn't there exist a similar library in any programming
> language? Not doing so is assuming that developers always need
> control of the lower layers. Its not true. I care about
> protocol. Not sockets.
>
> Is there any abstraction layers in phobos? Or is everything
> just as complex as before?

Check out arsd:
https://github.com/adamdruppe/misc-stuff-including-D-programming-language-web-stuff

I used cgi.d to make my own server easily (compile with
-version=embedded_httpd). If you want more lower-level control,
try a ListeningConnectionManager. To see how it's used, look at
the code starting on line #1926.

It has some pitfalls (e.g. I can't find a good way to stop the
server), but it is very nice in _easily_ starting up, with _zero_
config.

NMS