Exception caused by calling a pure function repeatedly

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Wed May 30 09:40:02 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 30 May 2012 at 06:06:10 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> pure int[] solve(const bool[] redundancy, const ushort[LEN -
> 1][] matrixes, const int[2^^LEN] bits, const int[] numbers)
>
> Fixed-length arrays are value types and are copied on the
> stack. Try passing 'bits' as 'const ref' instead of just
> 'const'.

This is specifically a fixed-length array issue?

I ask because I have a function in code I've written,

     final pure nothrow const(CoDetResult) reputation(immutable
size_t users, immutable size_t objects, const Rating!(UserID,
ObjectID, Reputation)[] ratings)

... which repeatedly gets passed vectors of length 4,000,000 or
more, and memory usage stays at a constant level.

I didn't even realize it was possible to specify a fixed length
for an array in a function declaration.