Manually freeing up memory

Rob T rob at ucora.com
Fri Nov 9 23:50:54 PST 2012

On Thursday, 8 November 2012 at 04:51:00 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> Could it be that you still hold a reference to the raw memory
> in your data structures ? A slice would be a typical candidate:

Good point. I find that with GC'd memory, you have to diligently
keep track of where and when your references will be deallocated
to ensure there are no persistent references left dangling by
mistake.

I find that apps built with GC languages like Java tend to suffer
from severe memory leak issues, perhaps due to persistent
referenced memory that the programmer is unaware about.

I come from C++ background so I am painfully aware of why I
cannot lower my guard just because there's a CG kicking about, in
fact I find myself much more concerned than ever because I'm
never certain when the GC will kick in, or if it will do the job
correctly, and so forth.

--rt