Slices and array appending

cal callumenator at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 16:35:29 PDT 2012

Just want to make sure I understand this properly:

I have a large dynamic array (whose elements are immutable) which
only ever grows. I also have a whole lot of small slices into
this array, the slices never change, and they don't span the
entire contents of the array (they are just pieces).

Now if I append to the large array, and the runtime needs to
re-allocate to accommodate the change in size, none of the pieces
of the original array which are referred to by the slices can be
freed, right? So I end up basically with two copies of the
original large array, however the first version will now have
little pieces missing from it (wherever the slices don't refer).

Is that correct?