installation and configuration of vibe

Tyro[17] nospam at home.com
Thu Oct 25 03:20:16 PDT 2012

On 10/25/12 5:45 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2012-10-25 11:23, Tyro[17] wrote:
>> I attempted once to install DMD on OSX using the .dmg installer but it
>> wasn't available. Since then I've simply downloaded the zip file, unzip
>> it into /usr/share/dmd and create two symlinks to DMD and RDMD in
>> /usr/bin/. Installation instructions contained in the readme file of
>> vibe suggests that I use the .dmg installer. Since I did not, I get the
>> following error after executing vibe:
>>
>> andrew:vibe andrew$ vibe
>> Error: module object is in file 'object.d' which cannot be read
>> import path[0] = /usr/share/vibe/bin/../source
>> import path[1] = source
>> import path[2] = /tmp
>> Failed: 'dmd' '-g' '-w' '-property' '-I/usr/share/vibe/bin/../source'
>> '-L-levent_pthreads' '-L-levent' '-L-lssl' '-L-lcrypto' '-Jviews'
>> '-Isource' '-v' '-o-' '/tmp/vpm.d' '-I/tmp'
>>
>> what do I need to do to configure vibe so that it can finds the D
>> installation without using this installer?
>
> I suggest you first try and compile a simple Hello World in D :
>
> // main.d
> module main;
>
> import std.stdio;
>
> void main ()
> {
>      writeln("Hello World");
> }
>
> $ dmd main.d

How the most obvious things elude us. I recently switched from placing
"alias dmd=/usr/share/dmd/osx/bin/dmd" .bash_profile (which has worked
perfectly for me since I bought my MAC) to placing the symlinks in
/usr/bin/. Typing DMD and RDMD at the terminal window and seeing help
and usage information for both programs display properly, I assumed that
they work. But since moving from the command line interface to Alexander
Bothe's awesome Mono-D ide a little while back, I haven't compiled
anything at the command line so hadn't realized that it wasn't working.

Long story short, it does not compile...
I wasn't expecting to anything else since the simple one liner placed in
.bash_profile took care of the issue. What am I missing?