GDC build [was: Re: Sort order of dirEntries]

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Oct 25 19:51:16 PDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 02:50:08AM +0200, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> On 10/26/2012 02:16 AM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >Another thing I can think of is, you may need to run 'apt-get
> >build-dep gcc-4.7.2' to install any -dev packages required by the
> >build. That could be what's wrong. Maybe.
>
> Oh, good thought.
>
> Well, I did that, and went with the following configure statement:

> ../gcc-4.7-4.7.2/src/configure --enable-languages=d
> --disable-multilib --disable-libgomp --disable-libmudflap
> --disable-libquadmath --disable-libquadmath-support
> --enable-checking=release
>
> ... as I realized I'd left off the --enable-checking flag in previous
> builds.

Hmm. Maybe try --enable-checking=yes? That's what I have. Though I'm not
sure if this has anything to do with it.

> It now falls over in a different place again with the error:

> ../../gcc-4.7-4.7.2/src/gcc/graphite.c:50:19: fatal error: ppl_c.h:
> No such file or directory

Hmm. Try apt-get install libppl0.11-dev, maybe? That's where that file
should be. AFAIK apt-get build-dep should've pulled that one in, but
just in case it didn't, this may help.

> >The patches are in debian/patches/*. There's quite a lot of them; I
> >didn't even bother looking through them. I wonder, though, if the
> >Ubuntu sources don't have the multiarch patch? Try the upstream
> >Debian package and see if that helps.
>
> The following are present: gcc-multiarch.diff,
> gcc-multiarch-linaro.diff, gcc-multilib64-multiarch.diff,
> libjava-multiarch.diff, gcc-multiarch-doc.diff,
> gcc-multiarch-trunk.diff, gcc-multilib64-multiarch-trunk.diff
[...]

OK, AFAIK this should be enough. But anyway, seems you've gotten a
little farther now, so maybe it was the apt-get build-dep that was
missing.

Try installing libppl0.11-dev (or if that exact version isn't there,
search for libppl*-dev in the Ubuntu archive) and see if that prods it
along a bit more.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -- Abraham Lincoln