Random double

Ivan Kazmenko gassa at mail.ru
Wed Apr 24 03:33:48 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 24 April 2013 at 10:26:19 UTC, Andrea Fontana wrote:
>> I'd like to mention that there's no such mathematical object
>> as "uniform distribution on [0..+infinity)".
>
> ... you neither can choose a random real number in any interval

... but that is at least valid mathematically, albeit achievable
only approximately on a computer.  On the other hand, an infinite
case, even if it would be possible, won't be practical anyway
since with probability 1, the result would require more bits to
store than available on any modern hardware.