Random double

Andrea Fontana nospam at example.com
Wed Apr 24 03:46:56 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 24 April 2013 at 10:33:49 UTC, Ivan Kazmenko wrote:
> On Wednesday, 24 April 2013 at 10:26:19 UTC, Andrea Fontana
> wrote:
>>> I'd like to mention that there's no such mathematical object
>>> as "uniform distribution on [0..+infinity)".
>>
>> ... you neither can choose a random real number in any
>> interval ...
>
> ... but that is at least valid mathematically, albeit
> achievable only approximately on a computer.  On the other
> hand, an infinite case, even if it would be possible, won't be
> practical anyway since with probability 1, the result would
> require more bits to store than available on any modern
> hardware.

I mean that a random real number is not valid mathematically too.
In any given real interval there are infinite numbers, how you
can choose a number in an infinite (and non-numerable!) interval?
I think you always need some sampling.

What's the probability to guess a precise number in [0..1]? I
think is 0 as long as you have infinite numbers.

What's the probability to guess a interval in [0..1]? I think
it's the interval size.

Am I wrong?