Random double

Ivan Kazmenko gassa at mail.ru
Wed Apr 24 04:08:30 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 24 April 2013 at 10:46:57 UTC, Andrea Fontana wrote:
> What's the probability to guess a precise number in [0..1]? I
> think is 0 as long as you have infinite numbers.

Right.

> What's the probability to guess a interval in [0..1]? I think
> it's the interval size.

Right again.

> I mean that a random real number is not valid mathematically
> too. In any given real interval there are infinite numbers, how
> you can choose a number in an infinite (and non-numerable!)
> interval? I think you always need some sampling.
>
> Am I wrong?

In a sense, yes.  A continuous probability distribution is
well-defined.  In short, as you pointed out, you can coherently
define the probabilities to hit each possible segment and get a
useful mathematical object, though the probability to hit each
single point is zero.  It's no less strict than a typical high
school definition of an integral.  See the link for more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability_distribution#Continuous_probability_distribution
.