Which option is faster...

jicman cabrera_ at _wrc.xerox.com
Mon Aug 5 10:04:34 PDT 2013

On Monday, 5 August 2013 at 15:27:09 UTC, dennis luehring wrote:
> Am 05.08.2013 17:18, schrieb jicman:
> >
>> It is a tool that was a script, but I have turned it into do,
>> which now has taken two hours from the last jscript script.  I
>> have not benchmarked it, yet.  I may.  But I see that a great
>> idea has been provided, which I will use.  Thanks for the help.
>
> > have not benchmarked it, yet.  I may.
>
> so its totaly unclear if the presented code is your 2h monster,
> what was
> the runtime of your jscript?
The files are in a network drive, so, that has some slowness
already involved because of that.  The jscript use to take over 8
hours.  The new D program has dropped that to under less than
six.  This is huge to us.  But, I know that I can probably fine
tune the program to make it a few minutes less. :-)

> > But I see that a great idea has been provided
>
> using a local variable for not lowercasing on each if is not an
> great idea it is default programming style
This will help.  If there are 100K files, which I know that there
are more than that, it will help a little bit.
> and i don't think you're be able to implement the tree
> statemachine
> when doing such simple performance killer like multiple
> lowercase calls, and try to help youselfe by introducing
> "continue"...
Perhaps, but it's a good idea, nonetheless.