Compiling DMD/Phobos on OSX (vs linux)

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Aug 12 09:11:13 PDT 2013

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 10:33:24 +0200
Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:

> On 2013-08-12 09:33, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>
> > Thanks, I was indeed able to compile DMD/phobos on the system
> > (after a loooong and surprisingly non-trivial download and install
> > process for xcode/gcc).
>
> Oh, really? I guess I forgot to mention that you need to install the
> command line tools as well.

Actually, what really took the most time by far was just downloading
xcode - that sucker's like 1 or 2 gigs!

All in all that wasn't too bad though. The most awkward thing about
the whole deal was just using an OS that I'm *really* not accustomed
to ;)

> > There did appear to be an issue with the tools repo, as I got errors
> > about "dustmite" being a directory instead of a file, which kinda
> > surprised me b/c I thought OSX was case-sensitive? (The tools repo
> > *does* have the dustmite sources in a subdirectory named
> > "DustMite".)
>
> No, HFS+, the filesystem on Mac OS X, is by default _not_
> case-sensitive. I have hit one or two issues with this but in general
> it's not a problem. If you want, it's possible to choose
> case-sensitive, but that would most likely require you to reinstall
> the system.

I see. In that case, the "tools"'s posix.mak needs to be fixed,
ideally by generating the executables into a subdirectory instead of
tools's root. I'll put together a pull req.