About compiler memory consumption

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Wed Dec 4 08:28:06 PST 2013

While in general one may expect CTFE/template memory consumption
to drop considerably, in vibe.d case it is unlikely to make that
much of an impact. vibe.d does really lot of computations during
compile-time, for example, all Diet templates get loaded and
processed during that phase. I can't imagine optimizations that
will make possible to fit compilation of any vibe.d project of
notable size in 512Mb memory. To be honest, I'd hate to do any
DMD + vibe.d development on anything less than 4Gb of RAM.

In that sense I think rsync'ing binary from development box is
most reasonable approach in the long term. There is already
working dynamic Phobos library for Linux, using it + stripping
the binaries shall reduce their sizes quite a lot. Officially
shared Phobos is still not very tested but I have not had any
issues with it so far.