About compiler memory consumption

Puming zhaopuming at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 08:41:12 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 4 December 2013 at 16:28:07 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> While in general one may expect CTFE/template memory
> consumption to drop considerably, in vibe.d case it is unlikely
> to make that much of an impact. vibe.d does really lot of
> computations during compile-time, for example, all Diet
> templates get loaded and processed during that phase. I can't
> imagine optimizations that will make possible to fit
> compilation of any vibe.d project of notable size in 512Mb
> memory. To be honest, I'd hate to do any DMD + vibe.d
> development on anything less than 4Gb of RAM.

Other than diet, is there many other CTFE/template heavy parts?

I hope there would be a non-CTFE version of diet template,
similar to regex/CTRegex. If we use the non-CTFE version in dev
mode, we would have a better memory & compile time turnaround in
dev mode. And in the release mode the diet templates would be
optimized with CTFE. Is that a viable approach?

> In that sense I think rsync'ing binary from development box is
> most reasonable approach in the long term. There is already
> working dynamic Phobos library for Linux, using it + stripping
> the binaries shall reduce their sizes quite a lot. Officially
> shared Phobos is still not very tested but I have not had any
> issues with it so far.

Yes, after some trying and struggle, I came to the same
conclusion. Will try the compression tools mentioned by Teoh :)

Thanks,

Puming.