Dub and GtkD

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Dec 21 06:51:22 PST 2013

I just created a new vibe.d project using dub, all fine. Well once I had
solved the libevent problem. Then, as the project is to be a GUI client,
I added a gtk-d dependency.  I tried building the empty project and the
binary comes out at 42MB. Not only that there are two copies of it one
in . and one in ./.dub/build. I was gobsmacked, this isn't Go, there
should be dynamic linking by default.  Is this something I have missed?

There ought to be a clean target for dub as well as a build and run
target for dub, or have I missed something?

Re GtkD, when I run the "Hello World" vibe.d web server with GtkD doing
nothing, I get:

|> dub
Checking dependencies in '/home/users/russel/Repositories/Git/Masters/ArcamClient_D'
Target is up to date. Skipping build.
Running ./arcamclient
Listening for HTTP requests on ::1:8080
Listening for HTTP requests on 127.0.0.1:8080
Please open http://127.0.0.1:8080/ in your browser.
object.Exception at ../../../../.dub/packages/gtk-d-master/src/gtkc/Loader.d(127): Library load failed: libgtkglext-3.0.so.0
Error: Program exited with code 1

In an earlier thread here, Mike Wey's response was "download libgtkglext
and build it yourself". I am not sure this is the right approach. Debian
packages GNOME 3 quite well but they do not have this
libgtkglext-3.0.so.0 and yet things work. I think mayhap GtkD should
have this as an optional dependency rather than a mandatory one. Or am I
missing something?

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk