GitHub behind proxy servers among other questions

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 12:20:45 PDT 2013

On Monday, 8 July 2013 at 18:09:44 UTC, monarch_dodra wrote:
> On Monday, 8 July 2013 at 16:49:05 UTC, John Colvin wrote:

>>> I appreciate your response.  I have tried these.  I think the
>>> real issue is that I am not sure on the IP and port needed
>>> for the proxy here at work.  The company uses WPAD in the
>>> browser and I cannot figure out what the IP and port the
>>> browser is using to connect through the proxy.  If I knew
>>> that I probably could make it work.  It would be nice if
>>> GitHUB would change their Downlaod Zip button such that it
>>> does a recursive zip to include all the subfolders.
>>
>> I would just ssh to somewhere outside the firewall, git clone
>> there, tar the folder, then scp it back. Assuming that is
>> possible through your firewall.
>>
>> If you're on windows then there are the always useful putty
>> and winscp to do your ssh and scp work respectively.
>
> Well, the thing to remember is that he did say "company", so
> such approaches to bypass a firewall could very well be a
> violation of his IT policies. I know doing this would be
> *major* violation of my companie's policies, and could be cause
> for termination.

I don't see how it is problematic? The firewall doesn't allow a
particular type of connection, so you cache the result somewhere
else and then access it via something that is allowed.

It's the same as downloading the zip file from github, only
you're doing the "zipping" yourself, then using scp to do the
download instead of http.

Is it common to have ssh connections banned in the IT policy but
*not* blocked by the firewall?