GitHub behind proxy servers among other questions

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 01:55:28 PDT 2013

On Monday, 8 July 2013 at 19:20:46 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> I don't see how it is problematic? The firewall doesn't allow a
> particular type of connection, so you cache the result
> somewhere else and then access it via something that is allowed.
>
> It's the same as downloading the zip file from github, only
> you're doing the "zipping" yourself, then using scp to do the
> download instead of http.
>
> Is it common to have ssh connections banned in the IT policy
> but *not* blocked by the firewall?

I'm just saying that maybe the firwall is blocking that protocol
on purpose? Github can very easily be seen as "File Sharing"
and/or "Online Storage". The sole act of downloading/uploading
anything on there is possible violations of policy. You could
download viruses, or be stealing your company's code to publish
it online. Even if you *can* download the zip via http, it
doesn't mean you are actually allowed to. If your company's
firewall doesn't block a porn site, does that means its OK to
surf it?

Now, most companies wouldn't really care that much about it, if
you connect every now and then, no one will care. Worst case
scenario, you'll get a reminder not to download/upload crap on
internet.

But, if you start doing all this via ssh, or other alternative
routes, then you are *activelly* bypassing protections, and in
particular, doing something you *know* you shouldn't be doing.
That's a more serious offense.

Now, do what you want. I'm just saying before going it and
deploying such tools to download the files on git, please make
sure you aren't violating your company's policies.