GitHub behind proxy servers among other questions

JohnnyK johnnykinsey at comcast.net
Tue Jul 9 07:39:00 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 9 July 2013 at 08:55:29 UTC, monarch_dodra wrote:
> On Monday, 8 July 2013 at 19:20:46 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
>> I don't see how it is problematic? The firewall doesn't allow
>> a particular type of connection, so you cache the result
>> somewhere else and then access it via something that is
>> allowed.
>>
>> It's the same as downloading the zip file from github, only
>> you're doing the "zipping" yourself, then using scp to do the
>> download instead of http.
>>
>> Is it common to have ssh connections banned in the IT policy
>> but *not* blocked by the firewall?
>
> I'm just saying that maybe the firwall is blocking that
> protocol on purpose? Github can very easily be seen as "File
> Sharing" and/or "Online Storage". The sole act of
> downloading/uploading anything on there is possible violations
> of policy. You could download viruses, or be stealing your
> company's code to publish it online. Even if you *can* download
> the zip via http, it doesn't mean you are actually allowed to.
> If your company's firewall doesn't block a porn site, does that
> means its OK to surf it?
>
> Now, most companies wouldn't really care that much about it, if
> you connect every now and then, no one will care. Worst case
> scenario, you'll get a reminder not to download/upload crap on
> internet.
>
> But, if you start doing all this via ssh, or other alternative
> routes, then you are *activelly* bypassing protections, and in
> particular, doing something you *know* you shouldn't be doing.
> That's a more serious offense.
>
> Now, do what you want. I'm just saying before going it and
> deploying such tools to download the files on git, please make
> sure you aren't violating your company's policies.

   I do not encourage anyone to bypass network security
protections and I do encourage letting your conscious be your
guide on this topic.

   The issue is that it is just more complicating than I think it
should be to download libraries and such.  Authors of helper
libraries and other D related code should take their queue from
dlang.org and actually have binaries that users can download and
just use without the need to compile before they can use the
wares.  It is not a firewall issue or anything like that.  It was
just GIT not supporting modern proxy authorization schemes.
Problem resolved but it could have been avoided all together for
those of us that are not to the point of contributing to these
projects and are just trying to get their feet wet without
drowning first.
On another note I was able to successfully compile the DWT lib
and I was able to compile the snippet example programs to test
DWT.  I did notice for those that are interested DWT exe's are
over 2MB which is really what I was wanted to find out.  I will
redirect DWT questions to the appropriate forum.

   The workaround for GIT via proxy is just not as pretty as I
would have liked it.  However as I posted previously I found a
suitable workaround for the issue.  No other discussion is needed
for this issue.